Praying for Ansley

Sunday, June 21, 2009

50/50

Thursday June 11 was the 16 month anniversary of meeting my precious baby girl, Maia. She was 16 months old the day I met her, February 11, 2008. That means that every day after June 11, 2009, she has now had me in her life longer than she didn't have me in her life. I don't know why this is so awesome to me, but it is!! I'm now on the positive side of time and I am 'winning'. :) It is great!

She continues to amaze me and just makes me so proud to be her mommy. She is smart, kind, gentle (usually...), snuggly, HAPPY, fun, easy, independent, dependent, (yeah yeah, I know), and not too bad as far as two year olds go!! She has occassional moments of defiance, but they are so short lived, I can't possibly complain.

Her potty training continues to amaze me - she learned so quickly. She goes to sleep without a fuss and never wakes during the night, she plays with lots of different toys and can amuse herself with nothing more than a label or 'sticker' from some trash we might be throwing away, she wakes with a smile (99% of the time).

Tonight, to top it all off, after her bath we sat down to read. She'll usually drink some milk before bed while I'll read her a story. We read her favorite three books and she was done with her milk. I turned her around on my lap and we started singing. After a few songs, she patted my chest and said "Let's snuggle!" I couldn't believe it. A full sentence, that I understood, and that made my heart just MELT. We often DO snuggle, but she's never said it before. How amazing. :)

Matthew finished 8th grade this past Thursday. He'll start high school in the fall. I just can't believe my 'baby' (first baby) is old enough to start high school in two months. I'm not sure where that time went - it's neat to see him growing up but also so sad to lose my little 'baby'. He's maturing so well and for that I am so pleased. He's made so much progress in so many areas and it just makes my heart smile. But I still hate to see him grow up!

He goes away to scout camp a week from today for a week. He'll return on the 4th of July. I'll be at the beach that weekend with Maia, so I won't be here to get him. He'll go with his Dad that weekend until I return. I don't like it when he is gone, I miss him so much (and admittedly, miss all the help he gives me!) But, this is one of those areas where I need to let go and let him GROW. He loves summer camp and gets so much out of it. I am happy that he loves scouts so much. It is an incredible program that has served him very well!!

Here is Matthew on his last day of school:



Here is Maia enjoying our brand new, grand swimming pool!









She loves getting sprayed and spraying herself with the hose!

Here are a few from a few weeks back when we played with sidewalk chalk in the driveway. It was such fun!



This is my neighbors last weekend in their house. I am going to miss living next door to them. They've been great neighbors and friends!

Today is the longest day of the year - in a good way!! (Not like those days at work that you think will never end!) I LOVE SUMMER and the long days of daylight. It's depressing when I think that the days will get shorter and shorter from here on out, but I'm hoping not to dwell on that and just enjoy each summer day to the fullest! ENJOY summer everyone!

Happy Father's Day to my wonderful Dad, and to all the other wonderful Dad's out there! Hope you enjoyed your day!

7 comments:

Kim said...

LOVED the pictures! Matthew is so grown up and handsome. And Maia! Wow! No more little baby but precious little girl. She's beautiful! Enjoy that summertime fun!

Jennifer said...

Wow, Matthew sure has grown up fast! He's no longer a little boy, but quickly becoming a young man. How did he do that so fast?! :-) And Maia is a beautiful little girl. You've got such great kids!

Love the post, and thanks for the update!

Susan said...

what a heartwarming post!!
Maia is such a pretty, sweet, and smart lil girl. :) You have every right to be proud of both your children.

Sean is going into middle school but I i know i will blink and he will be in high school, and Leeza will be going into pre-K. yikes!


I love hearing how happy and affectionate our Kaz kids are. Knowing that they didn't have as much love and affection when they started out in life makes me get teary when I think about how affectionate and loving they learn to become with their forever families. :)

Michelle said...

Such a sweet post, thank you for sharing. It is hard to watch them grow up and becomes these people. It's sad and wonderful all at the same time. You will be amazed at the man he becomes in HS. Maia on the other hand what a cutie patootie, I love and hate 2 all at the same time. Madison is doing well at Potty Training but some days she is so stubborn about going it kills me and other days it's just like a breeze. You gotta love 2.

Renee said...

It's so good to know you guys are doing well. Reading about Maia makes me want our little girl here! Maia is so beautiful and it's amazing how well she is doing. I also can't believe Matthew is going to be in high school. God has truly blessed you!

Unknown said...

Congrats on your 50/50 day. I remember having that feeling when Dmitrii had been home with us longer than he'd been in the orphanage. I don't know why, but it does seem like a really big deal.

Dean and Janie said...

What beautiful pictures. Congratulations on your milestone! Janie Holland (AWAA PAP) deanjanie@aol.com