Praying for Ansley

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Three weeks, 21 days, 504 hours

That's how long we've been home!! I can't believe it actually... it seems like we've always been here and never left. It seems like Maia has been part of our family forever! How is it possible she's only lived here for 3 weeks?!!?!?! They say that's how long it takes to make something a 'habit'. Well, I guess that clinches it, she's now a 'habit' and we're used to her. :)

She had her check-up at the doctor a week ago today. She did well, until the shots... Then she had to get a TB test and 5 shots... Good grief! I would have cried too. I had to hold her down while they stuck her in her leg. 3 in one leg, 2 in the other. Now, I got Hep. A to travel to Kazakhstan and let me tell you, it hurts! (Or at least, that one really stung me...) So, that was one she got too, so no wonder she was crying, besides being physically held down. They told me she's be cranky for a few days, but I didn't believe them, because Matthew never got cranky after his shots... Well, next time I'll listen. Maia is not Matthew and I should not compare them. :) She DID get cranky and was not totally herself for about 48 hours. Luckily, she went back to her normal, cheerful self, so that was good. I'm glad the temperament change was short lived. Anyhow, besides that, we also had to 'collect some samples' (if you know what I mean) so this meant, in addition to her appt., dropping off samples, reading her TB test, and Matthew's physical today, we have been in that doctors office 5 times in the last 7 days. They know us by name, that's for sure, and I hope we aren't there for a very long time. Or at least until 2 months from now when they want to see her again to check-up one more time. I have one last trauma for her, I have to go get her blood drawn, but I wasn't up for that, so I'm thinking maybe Friday this week, if nothing else comes up I'll finally do that appointment. We'll see.

She is still doing so well in every area. She is the most inquisitive child I think I've ever seen. Looks at, studies, touches, eats if possible, EVERYTHING. If you say don't touch, she'll quick point out her finger and touch it fast as if I can't see it. (I think they told me wrong and she might actually already be two years old...) She drinks a LOT more these days and eats more than Matthew or I do I think. She has learned how to sign "More", and she uses it, let me tell you!! She wants more of everything. (In fact, I have to limit fruit, etc., or we may have some problems!!) She chatters ALL THE TIME. She's really trying to tell me something - poor thing, I don't have a clue what it is though. She still sleeps through the night which is really one of the best parts of all this. I was willing to deal with less sleep, but it's so nice not to have to!! Some mornings I even have to wake her up so we can take Matthew to school.

She understands a lot now too. Maia points to her eyes, nose and mouth. She knows her feet. She can go get her shoes if I ask her to. If I ask if she's hungry, she runs to her highchair. If I ask if she's ready to take Matthew to school, she waves bye-bye. If I ask her if she wants to go outside, she goes to the front door. If I ask her if she wants to take a bath, she pulls at her shirt as if to try to take it off. If I tell her no, she pretends she doesn't hear me and does it anyway. Yup, she's 100% normal, I reckon!!

She likes to ride on ride-on toys... and since we don't have one, she'll ride on anything low enough to the ground. She's tipped over boxes, tool boxes, stools, piles of laundry, anything she can climb on and 'ride' like a ride on car, or something. It cracks me up.

She loves so many different things to eat... she'll eat lunch meat, nuggets, bbq chicken, cheese, couscous, yogurt, milk, juice, Special K, Life, Cheerios, Oatmeal, grapes, strawberries, mandarin oranges (those were new yesterday!), graham crackers, pizza and spaghetti weren't her favorites, but we'll keep working on her, applesauce she loves, and I'm sure there are more, but those are the things that readily come to mind.

I am not posting any pictures right now, which is actually why I've not posted sooner than today. I was waiting for pictures. (I'd post more often if it weren't for pictures!) But, my computers are all old as the hills and two of them died this week. All the pictures I took in Petro and since I've been home (Until last weekend) are downloaded on my mom's computer and she took that with her when she went home, of course! (Only after Maia managed to pull three keys off the keyboard and sheer the plastic underneath them so fast, that it can not be fixed and the laptop keyboard needs to be replaced!! All this in LESS than a minute!! So, I am using Matthew's really REALLY old laptop. I will be buying a new computer soon, but wasn't prepared to choose one! As soon as I get one, I'm sure I'll be playing a lot with the NEW features and I might even do picture overload. That remains to be seen however. For now, it's just a post and you'll have to take my work that Maia and Matthew are the cutest kids ever.
:)

5 comments:

Angie said...

Kristen, watch those mandarin oranges, Nicholas loved them at that age, but they definitely weren't great for his stomach if he ate more than a few...You know what I'm saying :)

Unknown said...

Cool! What a wonderful update. You were so worried about her eating and drinking and it sounds like she is doing so much better then my kids at that age. Gabby keeps getting pickier. It is difficult to make her happy unless she is served cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets or grapes. These make up her 4 food groups. Fortunately Nathan is pretty open to most anything.

Kim said...

Fun update! Josh was the same way with the shots, it was an awful experience. Glad you are all adjusting well! Wait until she has been home 6 months, you won't believe how time flies. :)

Kim

Unknown said...

Wow! She is doing amazing!!! She's doing some things that Dmitrii ins't doing after almost a year home AND he's older. (he's a stubborn child but i love him) Sounds like things are going great. I am happy for you.

Jennifer said...

What a smart cookie!! It sounds like everything is going so well and all is wonderful and perfect. Any bets on how long it will be before she starts talking? :-)

The shots part is no fun! We all hated that too.

I'm so glad to hear all is going well and you guys are so happy and content.

The only thing left to do now is get a better laptop. :-) All of course so we can see pictures of your darling girl.